Friday, May 23, 2014

Camino di Santiago-25 miles to go...


Yesterday was another drizzly walk in Galicia to Palas de Rei. Cold and rainy so I was left to sketch in the cafe at the Albergue. The walls were covered with pilgrim paraphernalia and coins from all over the world. Lots of pilgrims sharing the sleeping quarters, but at least I had the highly coveted lower (abajo) bunk.


This morning, with 40 miles to go, I got up at 5:45 leaving a bunk room filled with 20 sleeping pilgrims from all over the world. We have been walking now for 30 days and getting a good nights sleep on the Camino is almost impossible. 
I looked in the mirror and there I was, as usual, with my hair sticking out all over the place and dark circles under my eyes. I thought "I am so over the Camino", but I brushed my teeth, put my hair up, downed a cafe con leche grande, pulled my poncho over head and my 20 lb pack and off we went to walk 16 miles in the pelting rain...
25 miles to Santiago.

2 comments:

Ross Sutherland said...

when you get there it will all be worth it.. great job and great sketches....

Margarita said...

Brave, already almost you are. The hard of the Way begins in the instant in which one takes conscience of which it(he,she) has finished. Then to return to the comfort of the routine life that one had before starting Way becomes tremendously rare(strange).

A strong embrace. I also did the Way a few years ago and his(her,your) force still(yet) is still alive(vivacious) in my heart