Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Gamelan Rindik

The Rindik is made from Bamboo cut to various lengths, each providing a different tone and creating a light and airy sound that I hear on my walks along the beach. One resort has these guys tapping away close to the edge of the property so I popped in. They liked that I was interested, listening, watching and sketching. It is said that playing the Rindik will enable you to find balance between the left and right side of your brain. As a material, bamboo is readily available and inexpensive in Bali, allowing practically any musician to own an instrument and play. Bamboo Gamelans are a large part of Balinese folk tradition, and most musicians are not professionals. Their participation is about their contribution to the community and the joy of music making.

4 comments:

Margaret Ann said...

OOOOh YES! I LOVE these...Their sounds really do allow you to fly away on the breezes! :) Nice post!

A Brush with Color said...

I love that I get a lesson in the culture as well as great art when I visit here, Jennifer. This is beautiful. I can hear the sounds as I read this.

john.p said...

I have a soft spot for making music so I like to hear other cultures see the same value and experience the same feelings. I also love how you immerse yourself in wherever you are, America or abroad, and your style.

Sandy said...

Oh I bet they make lovely music too!