Wednesday, August 20, 2008

EDM challenge: draw a cat

Still in shock from the vet bill, I did this very quick sketch, last night, standing in the kitchen while the cats recovered from being poked, prodded and stuck. Exhausted from the thermometer, eye ointment and ear cleaning, Bobo slept while Jazzy in her usual clandestine behavior did that cat "crouch" thing.

I am not much of a "journal keeper", tending to just sketch and paint and then write on the blog. Inspired by many of you who add words to your sketches and the book 1000 Artist Journal Pages I am going to give it a try. The above sketch was my first attempt in yet another found old empty sketch book. I hope to use this not so portable sketch book here at home until I leave on my next adventure.

9 comments:

Wren said...

Wonderful entry! Sorry to hear about the vet bill. Just got my card to schedule Ramie this week in the mail! Love your rear view mirror icon!

Sandy said...

Great page!! I think adding hand written thoughts to a journal endears them tremendously, even as a young EDMer (1 1/2 years now) I look back at old journals and read my thoughts along with a sketch and it instantly brings it home again - Your pages are great either way.
And with 2 dogs and 1 cat I know about vet bills, But our Horse Wins that contest 'hooves' down!!

Kunstrxns said...

I so agree on the adding words to the page. I have been going through 1000 pages also and trying to decide what style appeals to me most.

Ann said...

Great journal page - the kitties are lovely. Vet bills. That's why we are trying to talk our daughter into becoming a vet when she grows up :)

A Brush with Color said...

Sweet image of these two. I so remember how much pets cost--we had a cat and a dog when my son was small and it seemed as if we were always dishing out money for something. Now, I'm on the road too much in my job for a pet, but we do babysit relatives' pets and enjoy them--we call them "the kids."

Love this book you've described here.

Carol Bonomo said...

Go for it. The words are just part of the art - sometimes background, sometimes foreground. Loved this entry, love your cats.

Stephanie said...

hum...we love our pets so we will pay the bills as necessary. YOur journaling is purrrfect for the kitties.

Andres said...

I like how you include the bill. But clearly the cats are the focus, living, giving part of the page.

suzanne cabrera said...

I love this. Yikes...what a vet bill! I totally feel your pain.